ACLU-PA Position: Opposes
HB 2626 (PN 4335) makes numerous changes to Pennsylvania's election code, several of which are of great concern to the ACLU-PA:
- Removes the option for drop boxes and satellite elections offices. Absentee ballot and mail-in voters may only deliver a ballot in-person to:
- A member or employee of the county board of elections at the permanent offices of the county board of elections.
- A member or employee of the county board of elections at a location at the county courthouse designated by the county board of elections.
- A judge of elections at the elector's polling place on election day.
- Allows out of county voters to serve as poll watchers who would be able to challenge the eligibility of any voter to vote;
- Moves the deadline to request an absentee or mail-in ballot from Tuesday, October 27, 2020 to Monday, October 19, 2020; and
- Doubles the criminal penalties for 47 different violations of the elections code.