Civil liberties never stay won, therefore the ACLU-PA is always in the fight as it addresses issues with dynamic, precedent-setting solutions. The American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania (ACLU-PA) seeks a People and Benefits Manager to support and propel the organization forward during a time of continued change. We are looking for an experienced human resources professional who can help us maximize our potential in terms of staff strength and impact. The ideal candidate is an organized self-starter with a strong orientation to systems-level thinking and team-wide operations. The ability to anticipate problems, a collaborative work ethic, and a high bar for human resources excellence are critical. The ideal candidate is a hands-on leader who can navigate a wide array of HR responsibilities with ease and consult with employees of all levels on personnel matters.
The People and Benefits Manager reports to the Director of Finance and Administration and plays a major role in devising and refining HR policies, furthering our commitment to equity and inclusion, staff training, safety, and technology. The ideal candidate will have a breadth of knowledge in multiple areas of nonprofit operations and human resources. This position requires a strong multi-tasker with a great attitude and previous management experience. The position also requires the ability to implement best practices and policies in all three offices across the state (in consultation with our national office), including with respect to information technology security.
This is a full-time, salaried position based out of the ACLU-PA’s Philadelphia office. Our workforce is currently remote until September 2021 (although the People and Benefits Manager will need to safely visit the office weekly to ensure operations). Join the ACLU-PA to help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working collaboratively to update and create personnel, technology, and office policies;
- Working collaboratively with our colleagues in our national office;
- Developing systems for recruiting, onboarding, and ongoing training of staff that enhance the organization's commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging;
- Administering employee benefit programs;
- Conducting and arranging for employee trainings;
- Serving as a member of our digital security and safety planning teams;
- Helping create and maintain a collaborative and supportive environment across offices;
- Assisting staff with day-to-day troubleshooting of technology;
- Helping investigate new software and technology solutions;
- Helping implement the organization’s strategic plan; and
- Traveling occasionally to other state and national offices, [following all COVID-19 regulations and safety measures.]
While no one person will have all of the qualifications listed below, a successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and skills:
- Demonstrated experience in HR with a focus on policy and benefits administration;
- Strong knowledge of human resources and policy guidelines (both legal and best practices);
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work inclusively across lines of difference in a variety of settings;
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and the willingness to prioritize and foster the ACLU of Pennsylvania’s commitment to valuing differences of race, ethnicity, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstances;
- Proficiency with basic computer skills and best practices in security, such as password managers, multi-factor authentication, etc.;
- Flexibility and willingness to research and learn new tools, technology, and resources;
- Exceptional organizational skills and a system-oriented working style in order to manage personnel records, benefits, and hiring searches;
- Creativity, problem-solving skills, and a self-starting attitude necessary to identify and initiate areas for improvement;
- Flexibility, patience, and willingness to learn;
- Excellent writing, communication, and listening skills; and
- Excellent judgment along with experience exercising discretion and confidentiality
- Experience in employee relations;
- Experience with strategic planning and implementing strategic plans;
- Experience within the diversity, equity and inclusion function of HR a plus
- PHR/SHRM-CP or SPHR/SHRM-SCP a plus;
- Developing work plans and creating ways to give and receive meaningful feedback; and
- Expanded technology experience including payroll software (ADP Workforce Now) and/or database administration.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary is $71,000 annually.
- Excellent benefits include generous vacation and sick leave; individual/family employer-provided health insurance; life insurance and long-term disability; defined contribution plan with employer match; and 12 paid holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for out-of-state candidates.
- This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt, which means you are ineligible for overtime pay under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please include “People and Benefits Manager” in the subject line of the email.
- In your letter, please indicate where you learned of the posting.
- No calls, please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website: www.aclupa.org/jobs.
The ACLU-PA is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public interest organization, dedicated to defending and enhancing personal freedoms protected by the US and PA Constitutions, as well as protected by the Bill of Rights, through litigation, legislative advocacy, and community education. It is a fast-paced environment that addresses headline-making issues with powerful personal stories and dynamic, precedent-setting solutions. The ACLU-PA has three offices, ten volunteer chapters, over 40,000 members and donors, 35 employees, and a $5.3 million operating budget.
The ACLU-PA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-PA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
ACLU-PA’s hiring process will comply with Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Standards (“Ban the Box”) ordinance.
The ACLU-PA comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union (the “Union”) of Pennsylvania and the ACLU Foundation (the “Foundation”) of Pennsylvania. The Union is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, and ACLU membership dues fund its lobbying work.
Donations to the Union are not tax-deductible. The ACLU Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. Foundation funds support litigation and public education efforts. Donations to the Foundation are tax-deductible. The People and Benefits Manager is an employee of the ACLU Foundation of Pennsylvania. Both the ACLU of Pennsylvania and the ACLU Foundation of Pennsylvania have the same overall mission, and share office space, employees, and the same board of directors. The two entities are jointly known by the term “ACLU-Pennsylvania.”