The American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania (ACLU-PA) is seeking a full-time Digital Communications Strategist to work in its Philadelphia or Harrisburg office. The ACLU-PA is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public interest organization, dedicated to defending and enhancing personal freedoms protected by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, through litigation, legislative advocacy, organizing, and community education. We are a passionate, highly motivated group of attorneys, public policy and legislative advocates, communications experts, community organizers, administrators, fundraisers, and volunteers. And now is a vital time to join us and make a meaningful, positive, long-term impact on the future of Pennsylvania and the United States.
The Digital Communications Strategist will report to the Director of Communications, will supervise the Multimedia Communications Associate (which is a new position that will be filled later this year), and will be part of an interdisciplinary, cross-departmental team. This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position. The Digital Communications Strategist will be responsible for creating and executing digital strategies, including social media, multimedia, and publications, to support the ACLU-PA’s work in advocacy, in litigation, and in fundraising. Please note that the ACLU-PA is currently operating under a hybrid work model, in which staff spend a minimum of two days per week working in their local office, while working from home when not in the office.
The Digital Communications Strategist will be expected to perform the following duties, in collaboration with ACLU-PA staff:
- Create content and manage ACLU-PA social media presence; stay abreast with social media trends and find new ways to grow ACLU-PA audiences; oversee and track the growth, quality, reach, and optimization of our digital media channels;
- Keep website content updated and troubleshoot web issues; work with national ACLU on affiliate template updates and system updates;
- Write emails, manage email calendar, and work with the Director of Communications on creating effective email content for ACLU-PA’s listserv of more than 100,000 people; manage digital e-newsletters;
- Build and manage analytic dashboards to track website, social media, and email performance. Knowledge of Heap and Sailthru a plus;
- Lead strategic use of multimedia communications; increase use of video and audio content as a means of reaching ACLU-PA’s identified priority audiences;
- Supervise the Multimedia Communications Associate;
- Serve as lead staff person on various ACLU-PA branded publications, including annual reports, research reports, and informational documents such as Know Your Rights and other types of brochures;
- Support ACLU-PA program and organizational priorities through the creation of paid advertising campaigns; manage paid digital campaigns; collaborate with communications team and program staff on script writing and messaging;
- Collaborate with development and administration staff to strategize and create event marketing plans and engage membership; attend events when necessary for communication/marketing needs;
- Handle light administrative tasks related to communications work such as reporting on advertising campaigns and spending, board reports, tracking media clips, and maintaining a library of digital assets.
Education / Experience: Relevant combination of education and experience, with at least four years of related experience.
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Experience in nonprofit, advocacy, or other community-based organizations is valuable;
- Supervisory experience;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Knowledge of and experience with marketing campaigns, including in digital media and traditional media;
- Knowledge of and interest in social media trends and the use of social media for issue-based advocacy and best practices for communicating via email and social media platforms;
- Working knowledge of content management systems, e.g., Drupal, Wordpress, etc.;
- Strong graphic design skills and demonstrated competency with Adobe Creative Cloud software;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace tools;
- A demonstrated ability to write clearly and precisely;
- Excellent organization and administrative skills; a strong, consistent attention to detail, an organized work style, and the ability to follow through on work assignments with a minimum of direct supervision;
- Ability to work on several projects at various stages of completion;
- Demonstrated interest in, enthusiasm for, and commitment to the mission and principles of the ACLU;
- Experience in photography and/or video editing is a plus;
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish is a plus.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary for this position is $71,000. Excellent benefits include generous vacation and sick leave; individual/family employer-provided health insurance; life insurance and long-term disability; defined contribution plan with employer match; and 11 paid holidays. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
To apply, send a letter of application (cover letter), resume, and two work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name and “Digital Communications Strategist” in the subject line of the email. In your letter, please indicate where you learned of the posting.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website, www.aclupa.org/jobs.
The ACLU-PA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-PA encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, people with records of arrest or conviction, veterans, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply.
The ACLU-PA comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union (the “Union”) of Pennsylvania and the ACLU Foundation (the “Foundation”) of Pennsylvania. The Union is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, and ACLU membership dues fund its lobbying work. Donations to the Union are not tax-deductible. The ACLU Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. Foundation funds support litigation and public education efforts. Donations to the Foundation are tax-deductible. The Campaign Director is an employee of the ACLU Foundation of Pennsylvania.
Both the ACLU of Pennsylvania and the ACLU Foundation of Pennsylvania have the same overall mission, and share office space, employees, and the same board of directors. The two entities are jointly known by the term “ACLU of Pennsylvania.”
ACLU-PA’s hiring process will comply with Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Standards (“Ban the Box”) ordinance.