At the ACLU of PA, it is important that we center directly impacted individuals in our work, as well as invest in impacted communities and people to build power. Investing in people means providing access to opportunities that allows for impacted individuals to build and grow their skillset to create transformative change in their communities, the criminal justice system, and for themselves and family. As a result, this internship is intended for those directly impacted by the criminal legal system or for the family members of those directly impacted.
The internship is a one-year position. The intern will be responsible for working closely with the Policy and Advocacy department and coalition partners to create, implement and win issue-based campaigns. The intern position will be responsible for educating key stakeholders and community members about the campaign for smart justice, assisting in creating campaign goals and implementing effective actions to forward those goals. This position will report to the CSJ Senior Organizer. This position will be based in Pittsburgh. Occasional weekends and evenings required.
The health and safety of our staff is our top priority. Please note that in response to COVID-19, we will be closely monitoring the ability for travel.
The internship requires a time commitment of 15-20 hours per week, with a flexible schedule. Compensation for this position is $15,750.00.
- Assist in planning community outreach and engagement efforts to achieve campaign goals and to build capacity.
- Mobilize ACLU members and supporters around criminal justice issues through grassroots organizing tactics.
- Conduct voter outreach and education efforts to update voter registration of those formerly incarcerated.
- Build meaningful relationships with non-traditional community organizations that are led by and lead the work for the communities they serve by attending events and providing support to them as needed
- Collaborate and create meaningful opportunities/events with these partners
- Develop accountability measures to maintain and grow relationships established with community partners
- Assist in the coordination of volunteer and advocacy events, including lobbying visits, rallies or other visibility events
- Recruit and train storytellers, centering the voices of impacted communities and individuals to ensure that interests of impacted populations are reflected in the CSJ campaign work.
Desired Experience and Qualifications
- Direct experience in the criminal justice system either personally or through an immediate family member
- Experience working on criminal legal issues, working with formerly incarcerated people and/or communities impacted by criminalization
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Experience with public speaking or presentations
How to Apply
To apply, send a letter stating your interest in this position, resume, and relevant writing sample or work product of 2-5 pages to email@example.com. Please include “Policy Advocate Fellow” and your name in the subject line of the email. In your email, please indicate where you learned of this position. No calls, please.
About the ACLU of Pennsylvania
The American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania (ACLU-PA) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, membership organization dedicated to defending and expanding individual rights and personal freedoms throughout the entire state of Pennsylvania. Through advocacy, public education and litigation, our staff and volunteers work to preserve and enhance liberties grounded in the United States and Pennsylvania constitutions and civil rights laws. Among those liberties are freedoms of speech, religion and association; the right to petition the government; separation of church and state; the right to privacy; reproductive freedom; due process of law; the rights of the accused; and the right to equal treatment under the law.
The ACLU-PA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-PA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
Mandatory COVID 19 Vaccination Policy
Following the CDC's guidance and the guidance of state and local agencies, to prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, ACLU-PA requires that all employees get vaccinated against COVID-19. Accordingly, employees must show proof of an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.